Why do people get surgery for snoring?
Surgery to eliminate snoring is typically seen as a last resort for those who have been unsuccessful with snoring mouthpieces and CPAP machines. Snoring surgery is only an option if the candidate has a surgically correctable abnormality, and other methods have been used without success. 
There are many different types of surgeries that aim to combat snoring, and ultimately, discussing the options with a doctor is the best source for information on these options. Below are some statistics around the most common types of snoring surgeries performed.
Facts to consider:
- Some surgeries to combat snoring or obstructed breathing can be performed in one stage, and others “require multiple procedures to complete the treatment” .
- Like any surgery, snoring surgeries have side effects and severe risks
- Like other snoring solutions, there is the chance of a snoring surgery not delivering the desired outcomes
A study based on the responses of 193 patients who underwent surgery to aid heavy snoring yielded these results :
- 26% of patients reported postoperative infections
- 76% scored postoperative pain as moderate or severe
- 37% perceived an improvement in their sleep quality
- 24% reported no improvement in their sleep quality
- 43% reported an initial improvement that was not sustained for 2 years
- In hindsight, only 47% would have undergone the surgery
- As a first-line of treatment, doctors highly recommend behavioural modifications to relieve snoring that is not related to sleep apnea .
- Trying alternatives before considering surgery can have many benefits, as they are :
- Less invasive
- Cost effective
- More comfortable
- Have less side effects
- Are safer
- Are not permanent
One of the alternatives health professionals recommend is a non invasive snoring mouthpiece such as Good Morning Snore Solution. This snoring solution has helped countless people avoid high-risk surgery and sleep well.
“Such a great alternative for me to a CPAP machine, or a dental appliance, both of which I've tried. Easy to use, easy to travel with, so simple in design!” -Margaret R, after trying Good Morning Snore Solution.