If nighttime in your home is rarely restful because of the slumber “noise pollution” you create, perhaps it’s time to see a doctor to find a solution that will allow you to sleep better and your family members to finally get the peace and quiet they need. Your loud snoring may be caused by a health problem and it’s always better to identify it right away so you can implement some changes that will correct that.
Snoring is never an indication of good quality sleep. In fact, snoring, especially the incredibly loud type, means that you’re having a hard time breathing – something is blocking your air pathway. There are a number of snoring solutions available today, but if a blocked airway is the only reason why you create so much noise at night while sleeping, an easy solution most sleep specialists recommend is a stop snoring mouthpiece; it’s a quick and very affordable remedy that works for most people.
A stop snoring mouthpiece takes some getting used to, and can feel a bit uncomfortable in the beginning. There are, however, some things that you can do to make them even more comfortable to wear throughout the night and minimize soreness the following day. Listed below are some of the things that you may want to try.
- Some people complain of dryness around the mouth after wearing the mouthpiece – you can treat this dryness by applying some lip balm before wearing the device. The hydrating properties of the balm will keep your lips moisturized even if you breathe through your mouth the entire night.
- Another thing you can do to prevent mouth dryness while wearing the mouthpiece is to drink lots of water.
- Use a really good mouthwash (or toothpaste) that’s known to fight bacteria build-up in the mouth throughout the night. This may not do much in making the mouthpiece more comfortable to wear, but you get the peace of mind that not a lot of bacteria is breeding in the device as you sleep.
- There are those who claim that exercising their jaws, mouth and even tongue prior to wearing the device can reduce the soreness the following day. It wouldn’t hurt to give this a try.
- For jaw soreness, a face massage can restore flexibility and get rid of tension knots around the jaws.